Monday 24 August 2009

What I am listening to...


Just wanted to write about stuff that I am listening to.

Right now, I am addicted to (In no particular order) :
1. Use somebody - Kings of Leon.
This was a serendipitous discovery. One that I wouldn't have dwelled into without the help of
youtube or my lousy workplace which drove me desperate to find something new to listen to.
Of late, I've been searching for songs, artists or music that I haven't heard. It's simple, actually. First you have to like something. Then enter youtube and search for it. You'll be shown a list of "recommendations" and you just need to explore that category.
"Use somebody" is good. It has a different feel altogether. The lyrics are good too. The voice reminds me of James Blunt and, needless to say, its a bit inclined towards sounding "haunted". This song inspired me to write up a little stuff of my own and it shaped into Painting a picture, in one sitting.

2. Romeo and Juliet - The Killers.
Again a serendipity. I stumbled upon this band when I came to "Use somebody" on the youtube. Heard to a song and thought of getting the entire set of songs that they composed. I googled and finally heard to their discography and found a few songs that I liked. This one, in particular, had a different set of lyrics. Like someone just started writing up something and then set tune to it.
The rhyme caught me. "Juliet, the dice was loaded from the start. And I bet, you exploded in my heart", etc.

3. The Scientist - Coldplay.
The connection with Coldplay is through blood. What I mean to say is, I came in touch with them through my cousins. They had come to visit us during the winter of 2005 (they stay in the UK,
and ofcourse Coldplay is an english band). They thought of buying us some stuff and I asked them to buy me a music album of their choice. They were arguing over Radiohead and Coldplay and found "The rush of blood to the heart" over there. This was Coldplay's hit album and it had "Clocks", the presence of which, on the cover, made my sister to insist on buying it.
It also had "The Scientist", which made my brother feel likewise. So there I was, listening to the clocks and the scientist. At first I heard the scientist only twice and lost interest in it. After a couple of years, in 2008, it caught me by storm and didnt quite leave me, if ever for small intervals. Right now, I still hear it regularly. Great guitar, a different depth to the lyrics (mostly it cant be explained). Nice video, but I am talking about the music anyway. It's an amazing song to me.

4. For reasons unknown - The Killers.
Great lyrics. Love the combination of music and lyrics.

5. Ruby, don't take your love to town - The Killers.
The way this song goes, just love it. The way the music goes till it says "Oh Rubyyyyyy" and then it stops and it says "dont take your love to town" and the music starts again. Saw somewhere that it was sung by Kenny Rogers as well, but have to google that up.

6. Buy me a rose - Kenny Rogers.
Amazing. Nice with a guitar. It's a slow one, but has nice lyrics plus slow music. My brother introduced me to this. He has a set of songs to which he's practising guitar and this is one of them.

7. Priyatama - Guna
This is dubbed from a tamil movie to telugu. Greatt lyrics. Heard it on my way home, on the radio. Instantly liked it.

8. Povodhe prema - Oye
Nice one. Telugu.

Also listening to are :
Tum agar mujhko na chaho - Dil Hi To Hai (1963. Raj kapoor's hit)
Dooriyan and Aaj din Chadeya - Love Aaj Kal
Pehli baar mohobbat - Kaminey
Nayan tarse - Dev D
Nenu nenuga lene - Manmadhudu (Telugu)
Til I collapse - Eminem
Leave out all the rest - Linkin Park

2 comments:

ila sharma said...

hey!! i am so glad to see a kenny rodgers on your list, i don't generally come across people who listen to country music. Have you heard kenny's for the good times? that according to me tops the list of his songs.

Unknown said...

Hi Ila Sharma,

I haven't yet. I have started listening to it now, thanks for sharing.. i totally like discovering new songs !