Wednesday 28 March 2012

Starting poetry

My latest discovery : Rabindranath Tagore !
I can't believe I haven't read any of his works so far, apart from those that were not in my school text books - none of which I remember now. I was going through a shelf of books at my home when I saw this particular one : "Lover's gift and Crossing". The first two poems were enough to glue me and a couple of pages later I was amazed at what I was reading. I'll be reading many more of his works, that's for sure. Here's one from Lover's gift :

      I dreamt that she sat by my head, tenderly ruffling my hair with her fingers, playing the melody of her touch. I looked at her face and struggled with my tears, till the agony of unspoken words burst my sleep like a bubble. 
      I sat up and saw the glow of the Milky Way above my window, like a world of silence on fire, and I wondered if at this moment she had a dream that rhymed with mine.


I've just started reading poetry. To be honest, I never quite understood poetry. The only poem I ever liked was by Robert Frost, "And miles to go before I sleep", which was pasted on of my uncle's almirah. As for the rest, I didn't understand why they are so famous. I heard about this one "O Captain my Captain" by Walt Whitman and I can't appreciate it as much as the other poetry lovers. I gave up reading poetry long ago, until I found Tagore. After Tagore, I'd love to read John Keats (my aunt loves his work, have to see if I like it too) and hopefully I'd be able to understand some.

2 comments:

Brad Dugg said...

try poetry....william blake....john keats....if you can try try byron and shelley too..the most romantic poets

Unknown said...

Sure I will, thanks :)
Keats is on my list first...